Boston University, B.A in Molecular Biology and a Minor in Public Health
Drexel University College of Medicine, Post-baccalaureate
Drexel University College of Medicine, M.D.
- 6/2016- 6/2019 Residency, Pediatrics Sidney Kimmel Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University/ Nemours Children’s Hospital, Delaware
- 7/2019- 6/2022 Fellowship, Pediatric Cardiology, Medical University of South Carolina
- 6/2022- 7/2023 Advanced Non-Invasive Imaging Fellowship, Pediatric Cardiology, Medical University of South Carolina
- 11/2023- Present Pediatric Cardiologist, Capital Pediatric Cardiology, Sacramento, California
- Basic Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (provider)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Recertified (provider)
- 10/2021 General Pediatric Board Certification
- 11/2022 Pediatric Cardiology Board Certification
- 6/2016- 6/2019 Pennsylvania medical license
- 6/2016- 6/2019 Delaware medical license
- 5/2019- 6/2025 South Carolina medical license
- 8/2023- 8/2025 California medical license Awards and Honors
- American Pediatric Association- New Century Scholar
- Helen B. Taussig Memorial Lecture and Outstanding Research Awards in Pediatric Cardiology at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2021
- 6/2016- 6/2019 President, Diversity and Inclusion Committee for Pediatric Residency Program at Jefferson/Nemours Children’s Hospital, Delaware
Membership in Professional Societies
- 8/2016- present American Academy of Pediatrics
- 3/2021- present American Heart Association
Teaching and Education Activities
- 2/2015- 8/2016 Facilitator of the Physician and Patient Course, Drexel University College of Medicine. Responsible for discussions on professionalism in health care, taught medical interviewing skills, and led case- based scenarios on culturally sensitive patient communication.
- 7/2016- 6/2019 Facilitator, Thomas Jefferson University. Responsible for quarterly development and deliverance of case based educational content for medical students on pediatric rotations.
- 2/2020- 10/2022. Medical University of South Carolina. Proctored educational workshops for medical students and residents (eg: ECG workshops). Developed and presented academic lectures based on pediatric resident curriculum (eg: cyanotic heart diseases). Provided lectured guidance on echocardiographic basics during the 2022 MUSC Pediatric Cardiology Boot Camp.
- 2/2020- 5/2022 Clinicians as Educators Certificate program. Medical University of South Carolina. Instructional course focused on developing educational skills for fellows in training through curriculum development, best practices in didactic teaching, bedside teaching, and small group discussions.
- MUSC Heart Center and UCSF, Department of Pediatric Cardiology; Adverse Maternal Fetal Environment Partially Mediates Disparate Outcomes in Non-White Neonates with Congenital Heart Disease. Presented as an oral abstract at the AHA Scientific Sessions 2021: Congenital Heart Disease and Pediatric Cardiology Section, during the Helen B. Taussig Memorial Lecture and Outstanding Research Awards in Pediatric Cardiology, November 13-15th , 2021.
- Adverse Maternal Fetal Environment Partially Mediates Disparate Outcomes in Non-White Neonates with Congenital Heart Disease. Poster presentation at the 14th Pediatrics and Darby Children’s Research Institute Annual Research Symposium at the Medical University of South Carolina, April 8, 2022.
- Santana S, Shabnam Peyvandi S, Costello JM, Baer RJ, Collins JW, Branche TN, Jelliffe-Pawlowski LL, Steurer MA. Adverse maternal fetal environment partially mediates disparate outcomes in non-white neonates with major congenital heart disease. The Journal of Pediatrics. 2022 Jul 5;S0022-3476(22)00616-3. Online ahead of print. PMID:35803301
- Santana S, Gidding S, Xie S, Kharouf R, Robinson B. Correlation of echocardiogram and exercise test data in children with aortic stenosis. Pediatric Exercise Science 2018; 30:S1-S34. PMID: 31392379
- Kratimenos P, Christidis P, Kehinde F, Koutroulis I, Santana S, Mossabeb R, Fleishman R. Association between hemoglobin concentrations at discharge from the neonatal intensive care unit with markers of neurodevelopmental outcomes in premature neonates. Journal of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
2019;12(2):221-230. PMID: 30829622
- Sadacharan R, Santana S, Sanchez E, Matlak S, Grossman X, Makrigiorgos G, Merewood A. Are you
Baby-Friendly? Knowledge deficit among US maternity staff. Journal of Human Lactation. 2012; 28(3):359-62. PMID: 22584875